Historic Ely Cemetery

Welcome to the Historic Ely Cemetary

Courtesy of the Livingston Historical Society

The Cemetary is open to the public on specific days each year:

Memorial Day & Veteran’s Day

2:00 pm – 4:00 pm

The members of the Livingston Historical Society invite the public to visit the Historical Ely Cemetery on either Memorial Day or Veteran’s Day, between the hours of 2:00 pm and 4:00 pm.

This private burial ground of Captain William Ely and his family is located on the west side of Hillside Avenue near the intersection with Rt. 10 in Livingston.

Captain Ely, a veteran of the Colonial Wars, moved to New Jersey from Lyme, Connecticut, in 1756, along with his wife Elizabeth Perkins Ely and their seven children.

One “rood” (1/4 acre) of his farm was set apart for a family burial ground. It is surrounded by a wall of native granite that was quarried on the Ely farm. The cemetery is the last resting place of generations of Ely’s as well as other prominent families with whom they inter-married, such as the Halsey, Smylie, Watson, Vanderpoel and others. Some were traders, soldiers, politicians, clergymen, or tavern-keepers, as well as successful farmers.

The last interment, in 1978, was that of Janet Halsey Olstead, an eighth generation descendant of Captain William Ely.

As court-appointed trustee of the cemetery, the Livingston Historical Society is required to restore and maintain the grounds in good condition.

To contact the Society, please send an e-mail to: LivingstonHistoricalSociety@yahoo.com